So you attended an IT Training workshop. Where do you go from here?
The Workshop Experience
We design IT Training Workshops to teach you the essentials of a particular software program. We guide you trough a series of tasks to give you hands-on experience, and we provide an explanation of why certain tasks are done in certain ways. There is a whole lot of information crammed into that 3-hour slot. Unless you have a photographic memory, you’re not going to remember it all. Once you leave the classroom it’s up to you. You have to “use it, or lose it,” as they say.
After the workshop, you have to ask yourself how proficient you want to become with this software. If you don’t want to do anything beyond what we covered in the materials, you’re all set. Just get to work on the task at hand and refer to the materials if needed. For many students, what they learned in those three hours is all they’ll ever need to know.
For those of you who want to complete tasks that are beyond the scope of the materials, or you want to become a true expert, you’ll have to take matters into your own hands. Here are some tips for taking your learning to the next level:
2. Find a project that means something to you and get help in one of our Coaching Sessions.
3. Check out the training offerings on lynda.com.
5. Use books from publishers like O’Reilly Media, Wrox, Peachpit Press, and others. Do a Google or Bing search on a software title, tons of books will come up.
6. Teach others about the software. One of the best ways to learn is to teach! Start you own YouTube channel. Write your own blog. Tweet about what you know.
7. Go to conferences like AdobeMax, and learn from the people who know the software inside and out.
8. Keep challenging yourself, and keep asking questions.
Learning can be frustrating, and it can be hard work, but it has the potential to change your life. Remember, an IT Training workshop is just a jumping off point. The rest is up to you!