As you begin working in Microsoft Office 2013 applications, you will notice that everything looks so white with very little contrast! If you would like some additional contrast, you can change the Office theme and/or Office background for all of your Office programs by changing the Account or Options settings. In addition, if you do not like the ALL CAPS look on the tab labels of the Ribbon, these can be renamed as well.
Changing the Office Theme
To change the Office background and Office theme for this computer only:
- Switch to Backstage view in any Microsoft Office application by clicking the FILE tab on the Ribbon.
- Click the Options command in the left pane. In General Options, in the “Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office” section, select the desired Office background or Office theme.
If you have a Microsoft Office 2013 account that you sign in to from any computer, you can change the Office theme for all of your Office programs from your account settings:
- Switch to Backstage view by clicking the FILE tab on the Ribbon.
- Click the Account command in the left pane.
- Select a different Office Background and/or select a light or dark gray for the Office theme.
These background and theme changes will take effect on other computers that are connected to your account.
Renaming a Tab Label on the Ribbon
To rename a tab label on the Ribbon:
- Right-click on one of the tab labels on the Ribbon and choose Customize the Ribbon….
- In the right pane in the Main Tabs category, select a tab and choose Rename….
- Type in the desired name and Click OK or press ENTER.
- If you want to keep the default name but change it to a more conventional type of capitalization, add a space to the end of the default name. Only the first letter will be capitalized.
NOTE: The FILE tab cannot be changed.