This is part of a series of articles that will appear over the next few months as part of the Go Paperless initiative at Indiana University.
Gone are the days when students must meet face-to-face to put together a slide show for a class. Prezi, the popular cloud-based presentation tool, provides users with an easy way to collaboratively create a presentation. This functionality is available even with the free version of the application.
When your group or team needs to create a presentation, follow the steps below:
- Make sure that all members of your group have a prezi account.
- Appoint a leader who will start the presentation and invite the other team members to collaborate on the presentation. (All steps below this one should be completed by the leader.)
- Log into prezi and start a new presentation.
- On the far right side of the top menu, click the Share button ().
- Click on Share prezi… A dialog box appears.
- Click the Add people field at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Type a group member’s prezi log-in.
- Confirm that Editor is displayed at the end of the Add People field.
- Click the blue Add button. You will see a new square appear beneath the Add people field with the collaborator’s prezi user name.
- Repeat steps 4 – 9 for every group member that you want to add.
Now when group members log into prezi they will see the presentation listed on their home page under “Your prezis.” If they hover their mouse over the presentation, an Edit button will appear in the top left corner of the presentation frame. When they click on this Edit button, the presentation will open in Edit view.
When multiple collaborators have the presentation open at the same time, they will all see square icons displayed over the canvas with the names of all others who have the presentation open. In addition, a slim gray task pane appears on the right side of the canvas with the number of people who have the presentation open at the very top and icons for the collaborators underneath. If you point to any of the square icons, the collaborator’s prezi username will be displayed.
To add more collaborators, you can click on the plus sign under the square icons on the right side of the canvas. The dialog box will appear once more and you can repeat steps 5 through 9 from above.
When a change is made to the presentation, it will immediately appear on everyone’s screen.
If you would like to learn more about creating a presentation with prezi, consider taking the IT Training workshop called Prezi: The Basics.